XS400 powered Yamaha Raptor

raptorxs400

XS400 Member
Reaction score
New to the website, just like to say Hello and tell ya a little about my project.

First of, my names Josh. I'm 23 and currently working on a project I came across, Code named: Zombie

The chassis is a 2004 Yamaha Raptor 660R, but the engine is a whole other story:D I purchased it with a 400 XS motor bolted in. But I had no wire harness from either vehicle (raptor or XS), only bits and peices of it. Thankfully, google led me here. I managed to match up a wire diagram to the engine based on the color wires that came out of it and the wires coming off the starter solenoid. Its mostly wired up minus lights and the charging system. I wired up the charging system today and just waiting to test it and make sure its working, then i'll wire up the lights.

The exhaust looks really nice but when I looked closely at the writing engraved into the tail pipes....they say HONDA:shrug: That kinda made me a little mad:banghead: cause it seems the guy I got it from just slapped whatever he had laying around on this thing. The throttle is off of a POLARIS:wtf: but it does work nicely with the carb linkage. This will only remain temporary as i'm ordering a twist throttle for it.

So aside from that, the rest of the Chassis is Raptor. I painted the Platics Black and Green. Later on when I put a new side cover gasket on to stop the oil leak, i'm painting the frame Flourescent green to match the platics.

Just took it for a 20 mile :bike: and aside from the steering needing a better alignment it was a blast to ride. Sounds good too for having Honda tail pipes lol.

Only issues i'm having right now are half the left side engine casing bolts are broken off or missing, along with the bolts on the clutch/chain guard cover, (forgive my lack of knowledge with names) so its gonna be a project to pull the casing and put a new gasket on. It needs a little carburetor work, when it get warm its hard to start. And the starter is very sluggish and takes a while to kick out and grab the gear. One of the biggest annoyances is the kick start....its there but useless cause it hits the plastics...not sure if i wanna trim the plastic so its useful again...or leave it as an emergency thing.

Its definitely an eye catcher, i've only had it running around town a couple days and had several people stop me and ask me :wtf: that is and how cool it looks and sounds.

Parts i'm interested in right now are:
Tach w/ cable
Shifter
Clutch cable with lever
Twist Throttle

I know this is a website for the xs400, not Raptors. But seeing as its got he xs400 and both Yamahas, i'm sure you all can appreciate what I have here.

Thanks for looking and i'll get some pics up A.S.A.P.

Josh

Welcome. Im a fan of mutt projects! lol Pictures pictures. I can relate with the using whatever I have laying around. Its a money saver and sometimes a different part can work better than OEM.

1069386_10201085122882335_1264828370_n.jpg

1004083_10201085123202343_2092646055_n.jpg

Welcome to this great site.It seems you have a very interesting project on your hands.Pictures are big plus here so post some when you can.Awesome

Back