xs400 w/ DIY muffler (carb tuning help)

trevingray9

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!
I recently took on the challenge of building my own (cheap a$$) mufflers for my '82 xs400HS.
Like everyone else, I wanted a grumpier sound out of the exhaust and wanted to try to make something myself before moving on to a full 2-1 system in the future.
So I put together some mufflers with some parts from the local auto and hardware store. (I can post pics if you really want, they aren't the most prettiest things). They have a small baffle inside and are packed/surrounded with fiberglass packing. I also am trying out the old "lollipop" trick with a washer welded to a nut towards the end of the muffler.
I am running the stock airboxes and stock jetting. I chopped the exhaust at the joint and clamped on my new mufflers I made.
I know there is not very much back pressure with my version, but I tried to get as much of a baffle as I could in there.
Anyways, the bike sounds and idles great (compared to how it sounded with the strait chopped off pipes) however there is a large hesitation just off idle. The bike revs up real high but just does not want to go anywhere. Once I get up to about 4th gear really tugging on the throttle the revs will drop down and the bike will finally pick up speed.
What would be your recommendations on tuning/jetting changes? I have read that jumping up 1 or 2 sizes on the main jet would work or shimming the needle (can't remember if the needle has a c clip or not?).
I do not plan on running pods cause I hate trying to tune those things, but I would like to try and tune it to these homemade mufflers.
I hope I supplied all the needed info and thanks a bunch for your help in advance!

I hope yopu did not cut up a good set of stock pipes. You could have sold them for good money. I find the factory 80-82 sohc xs400 exhaust works the best for all around performance. They are designed to do just that. With any other setup performance will be lost in certain areas. With a "custom" setup you will have to adjust all areas of you jetting to get as close as you can. Remember when letting more air out you will also need more air in. The stock filters may need changing. You should have started there first because it would be the most e asy to put back to stock.

Back