XS400R SECA DOHC '82 Carb Kit?

Mazzini113

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can get a carb rebuild kit for the DOHC engine in the states? I need both main and pilot jets, unless anyone has some tips on cleaning jets are really really dirty. I'm also open to options with performance/aftermarket carbs if anyone even makes one for the DOHC. Let me know your thoughts!!

Jets can be cleaned or replaced. Most bike shops can get them as they are standard Mikuni jets. You will be taking the lead on "performance carbs" as I'm not aware of anyone spending the thousand $ or so to change carbs. Once cleaned and tuned, the stock carbs work well enough for most. There is very little available in the way of DOHC "performance" parts. You want/expect much more than ~40 hp from a 30 year old air cooled 400cc engine?

A search here will yield many hours of reading that should answer most of your questions.

Jets can be cleaned or replaced. Most bike shops can get them as they are standard Mikuni jets. You will be taking the lead on "performance carbs" as I'm not aware of anyone spending the thousand $ or so to change carbs. Once cleaned and tuned, the stock carbs work well enough for most. There is very little available in the way of DOHC "performance" parts. You want/expect much more than ~40 hp from a 30 year old air cooled 400cc engine?

A search here will yield many hours of reading that should answer most of your questions.
Thanks for the info, I'll mess around with it a bit, and try to clean it out again. The carb was not care for at all, so I'm having a hell of time getting it to idle. Hopefully when I get it back a part again. Anything I can soak the jets in overnight?

What you use to clean depends on what caused the deposits. A solvent will remove gasoline residue. A mild corrosive will remove corrosion. PineSol is popular, but don't soak the parts for long as it is very aggressive. Lemon juice or vinegar also works, as does household cleaners that remove hard water deposits. The carbs have to be completely disassembled to be cleaned properly. Be careful with the diaphragms as they are delicate.

Thanks for the all the tips, with a a bit of time CLR and Pine-Sol, I was able to get the jets cleaned and open. Idling well now, however it died after coming down from rev, suspecting it was a vacuum leak, as I didn't put the air-box back together all the way, or any of the boot clamps on! Next is the determine if the front caliper is salvageable.

Back