1977 xs400

Have you tried any headgasket anti-leak additives? The general consensus is that most additives are crap, but I'd give it a shot before tearing the engine down unless someone else says it's really bad or something.

Nah I haven't even thought about trying the additives yet. I might just go ahead and do that for now until I have time to get the motor out. The way I see it is that the bike is 30 plus years old and all the gaskets probably need to be replaced anyway so I might as well replace all of them when I replace the head gasket just to prevent any future problems that a cracked or broken gasket might cause.

It's air-cooled, so it isn't like you'll be leaking coolant somewhere it isn't supposed to be. At worst you'd lose compression, I think, and misfire; you'd probably notice that. Have you checked compression yet? I'm not trying to talk you out of it, but I'd hate to see you have significant down-time as the season begins.

The compression is fine and it's not misfiring or anything right now. I've already put a little over 200mi on the bike since I've had it so I know that it runs just fine. I'm just one to take preventative measures when I undertake a project like this. And luckily once I am able to pull the motor I should be able to replace the gaskets in a weekend. I have a access to a friends shop, along with his help and his father's (which is a mechanic) so between the 3 of us we'll be able to pull it, replace everything and get it back on the frame in a reasonable time.

Your bike is a 1978 xs400-2e it did not come with a starter. If you are running pods or no mufflers you will need to change the carb jets and needle settings to get the bike to run rite. If your engine has good compression say 125-150 on both pistons a little leak at the head is fine unless your losing a lot of oil. Glad you are ok the car looks bad.

Last edited:
I have a 78 2e as well, so if you have any questions about the carbs and jetting post away. I have a build tread too and I will post my results as things come together. I can attest to the fact that this bike was very unhappy when all it had was big holes in the oem muffler. It was challenging to get it to start and idle, let alone rev with free flowing mufflers and pod filters. The lack of any back-pressure seems to have a more dramatic effect than increasing flow on the intake side.

It sounds like you have a good team to help you get everything tip top.

Well guys I just wanted to update the thread a little bit on what all I've been able to do slowly over the last couple of months. So far I've rebuild the front forks and carbs. Added the shortly mufflers, new chain, clutch cable, new headlight and adjusted the timing. Cosmetically the paint in now a Graphite and the stock blinkers have been cut down rethreaded and remounted. I've uploaded a few pics of the progress in my album so check it out.

can I make suggestion with the rear lamp?

get one of those twin round jobs with a built in license plate holder, you can bend the mounts and it will so much better

drewps

Dewps, I'm planning on doing that actually. I still want to build a new seat. The one that is on there is the stock one that the previous owner just had the padding shaved a little and recovered. This winter I'm going to be building a new seat pan and all and will be relocating the taillight with a lamp from Dime City Cycles. Just haven't had the time to get the seat design figured out yet.
Here's the lamp to by the way.
p-lic-nsc-28-xl-vintage-cafe-racer-caferacer-bobber-brat-chopper-streetfighter-motorcycle-parts-classic-retro-vertical-license-plate-bracket-ford-model-a-style-taillight-7_1_1.jpg

Yep, it's a pretty cool little piece. I just wish I could decide on a seat design. I've seen a couple of different ones on here that I like that other people have done.

Back