1978 xs4002E project

New coils with plug wires and plug caps. I used NGK 5K resistor caps. Will these work, or am I suppose to use the non-resistor caps?

If you are running non-resistor plugs a 5k cap is fine.

How do those mufflers sound? I've been toying with the idea of changing my stockers just to get a bit more sound....I'm in the same boat as you, just purchased this sweet little machine from a swap meet at Barber's Vintage Festival. I've done replaced all of the rubber components and it's totally stock for now. Runs and rides great!

BamaBill- My bike didn't come with stock mufflers, so I can't compare them. However, I my bike did come with after market MAC mufflers and they were pretty loud and throaty. The new mufflers are way quieter. They are not obnoxious and are pretty mellow. They aren't that throaty, but they don't sound like rice grinder either. I would try to upload a sound clip if I knew how.

This is NOT my bike or me. I found this video on youtube. I'm not sure what kind of mufflers the guy is running, but my new mufflers sound similar.

Here is an update on my motorcycle. Since I have bought my xs400 I have replaced the chain, air filters, changed oil, replaced the carburetors, carburetor boots, in-line fuel filter, mufflers with new gaskets, spark plugs, spark plug wires and boots, ignition coils, a battery, new fuse box, and obtained some side covers.

I know this doesn't seem like a whole lot compared to a total "rebuild," but I am a green horn when it comes to motorcycles and all these small projects has helped me learn quite a bit from what I didn't know. I can't forget to mention all of the time I have spent soaking up information from the forum. This forum is awesome! My bike is pretty much stock minus the new mufflers. I'm not sure what direction I want to take it. For now the plan is to enjoy it for what it is. Yesterday I took it around the neighborhood for a few hot laps and discovered that my front fork seals are leaking. I still need to sync my carburetors and tune them accordingly. So the next plan of attack is change the fork seals and tune the carburetors. Below is some updated pictures.

Attachments

• xs400update2.JPG
    xs400update2.JPG
    81.4 KB · Views: 232
Looks good Kinney! That's still more then most people do on their bikes (you beat me by coils haha)

Its not a total rebuild, but you usually don't wanna be doing one unless you need it. Don't fix what ain't broken, because you'll probably end up breaking something else in the process - at least in my case haha

Next time you change the oil, you should change the oil filter (manual says every other oil change) and while you are there you should check the valve clearances, and maybe give some thought to adjusting the clutch if you haven't yet. Both are relatively simple and will improve the performance if done correctly.

Hello to all! It has been awhile since I have posted an update. Through the winter months I replaced both set of brake shoes, fork seals and oil, and just recently purchased some emgo mirrors. I acquired my motorcycle endorsement and have been enjoying the bike. I also replaced my fuel petcock with a gravity fed one from mikesxs. I have had no problems so far with the petcock. I did have to order some gaskets for the mounting screws from a yamaha dealer. For anyone needing to replace your fork seals, a bench vise and a heat gun are a must. Don't be intimidated, the process is pretty simple. The next thing I would like to buy is a new gear shifter and some shorter turn signals. XsChris, I did shorten my fuel line:thumbsup:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    264.9 KB · Views: 212
I forgot to mention that I replaced my levers and perches. The brake perch mirror mount was stripped and the clutch ever was bent from being dumped by the previous owner. Just some small updates that provided some familiarization with the handle bar parts.

Found some oil goop on my chain today. Found the problem with a torn o-ring. Hopefully it stays at a $3 fix.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 222
I fixed the oil leak about a week ago. This morning I went on my first "long distance" Highway ride. It was about a 30 mile round trip to the Lake and back. This was the farthest I have ventured from town since I purchased my bike last September. The ride was good. My bike is by no means cosmetically perfect, but it handled well. I acquired my motorcycle endorsement in May and I'm pretty happy so far. I did kill a lot of bugs this morning.

Attachments

• 07-15-14johnsonlake.jpg
    07-15-14johnsonlake.jpg
    253.9 KB · Views: 208
  • 0715141107.jpg
    0715141107.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 204
:laugh: This is what the top of my helmet looks like after about 200 miles. I live in an area where there are many farms:mad: It's good you can do some riding. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Hello all! It's been awhile since I have posted anything . I just took my bike out for a ride for the first time in 2016. The bike survived winter storage. Haha for some reason there is always a little bit of doubt and prayer that she is going to start up again, but after three kicks she ran like a top. I haven't done any changes to the bike and I have just been enjoying in its raw form. I kind of like the nostalgia of the bike even with the clear coat coming off the tank and some imperfections. Some day I might decide to change the seat and give her a paint job but not anytime soon. I am building a house right now and have thought about selling the bike a few times, but every time I go for a ride I change my mind. If I sell the bike it will be for the whole bike, no parting out. If anyone is interested let me know. I would let it go for the right price. Bike only has 6,500 miles on the odometer. No leaks. You can read my page for the mechanical upgrades.

Back