1980 400 special carb questions

bigred1233

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
hello, i have recently acquired an 1980 400 special and it does not have a carb on it. so i am wondering if you know of anywhere i can find a full carb not just parts, and what kind it is and if any other years would work for it. please get back to me asap thank you

they are pricey online, brand new is nice but you will have to scuff em up and clean them just like any other carb after the honeymoon. You could buy used and learn how they work while you put good ones together. If you have a couple hundred and don't want hassle it would be an easy trade off. Not sure where you are from but I searched online and found a scrapyard of seasonal motor vehicles. It was a couple hour drive but I made sure to get everything on my list. They had shelves full of carburetors. I didn't even bother cause I knew mine just needed some good attention and it would be fine. ....Not to sound any more selfish but I wish I would have grabbed a few incomplete carbs and built a couple good ones... that way I could just do a quick swap with no rush on the clean job. And now that my idea is out there I suspect the Market and Aftermarket for carbs will be tightening up. Buy anything you can while you still can for these bikes!!!

Only the new ones come with a warranty. Match specs and you will be fine.

A place called Wisonsin Cycle Salvage. Its cyclesalvage.net. They carry alot of xs400s. All parts come off of working bikes. They will allow returns on everthing but electronic parts. Very good to deal with. Carbs are from 100-200 dollars tho! Good luck

Back