1980 Yamaha XS400 Losing Power

Njizzo12

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hey guys recently wired up my xs400 with the diagram below and the bike keeps losing power when i plug the headlight in. When its plugged in and i go to kick it, it wont start, but when i unplug it itll start right up. The battery is fairly new but it wont stay charged over night after i leave it charging during the day so something is drawing power from it. Let me know if theres somthing up with the wiring diagram thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0299.PNG
    IMG_0299.PNG
    205.5 KB · Views: 197
Not that diagram again....
What did you do with the HighBeam?
Does your ignition switch actually kill power to everything?
Tell me you wired both brake switches.

There's a reason the stock wiring uses a headlight relay.

I'd get a volt meter out and start looking for voltage when the bike is off.

I don't understand why folks digress from the stock harness. If you stay with it you have all sorts of resources to go to. If you don't care for the conectors either replace them with others or splice the wiring to hide it.The only wiring I was going to eliminate was directionals and the control panel...ultimately I decided both were something I wanted to keep.

Something must be grounding out somewhere. I had a similar issue with a rear turn signal but it was isolated to just the left turns. Having good grounds is important along with having good clean connections in the fuse box. Im not a huge fan of that single fuse deal.. But I only glanced that diagram and im not an electrical expert, which is why I kept my harness stock.

Back