1981 Carburetor replacement

Scubastan45

XS400 Member
Reaction score
I just bought a 1981 xs400 with no carburetor and I cant find one online. Anybody have a good place to get oem or aftermarket?

They pop up here in the classifieds occasionally. Put up a wanted ad. I just picked up a really nice set on here that looks like its ready to install out of the box..

Where in CT are you? Did you buy the XS400 that was in Mass?

I will definitely do that. Woodstock, Ct and ya I did. I've been trying to find something small for my first bike and it seems perfect. Something to work on for a while.

I would be careful buying 77-79 sohc xs400 carbs as those tend to have /get broken pilot mix screws broken off in the carb bodies. I stopped buying them altogether because of so many having this problem.

Yea if its the bike I saw a few days ago, that thing is super clean. Please save any parts you end up not using. I was going to buy it.. I work in East Hartford so I was very close to it.

I highly recommend buying a workshop manual and getting a decent set of tools. You can download the manual sections here but I prefer having a hard copy that I cant take out to the shed. I rebuilt my entire bike, engine included from the Haynes manual. I also had quite a bit of help just researching this site and asking questions.

Owning one of these bikes is a commitment. Its not like modern bikes. If youre not a mechanic, you will become one fast.

While you are missing out on carbs, you can go over the bike and get everything maintained.
-oil and filter
-clean the strainer on the bottom of the engine (little square trap door looking thing)
-brake fluid, and I recommend replacing brakes lines right away even if they look good
-check valve lash
-clean gas tank and get an external fuel filter
- new NGK BP7ES plugs
-battery

Ive been waiting to see some more XS owners from CT. I was at a stop light the other day and someone commented on my bike and mentioned he also had the same exact 360 with the orange color scheme..

Anyways, I dont mind helping others so If you want some hands on help Id be happy to take a ride up there. Send me a PM and we can exchange info.

I do have an extra set of XS400 carbs that you might be able to use JUST to hear the bike run. They are untested and I would want them back before I left so if you had everything you needed to make the bike run, Id probably be willing to take them off the bike and make the trip to install them on yours so you can buzz up the street. Nothing gets you motivated like hearing the bike run for the first time!

Post pics of the bike so we can see what youre working with.

I really appreciate all the help. I have a ways to go before I can try to get it started. I planned on getting a manual. I'm sure what the difference between the xs400 and the xs400s, and I dont want to spend 30 bucks on a manual that doesn't work with my bike.

The Haynes manual applies to the 250, 360, and 400. They are all essentially the same except for the bore size of the cylinders. Most of the parts are interchangeable. 360 stuff is harder to come by which is why I do most of my searching under 400 parts

Over the years, things like electronics and other trim options came into play.

Check out Partzilla.com. There you can get good diagrams and get part numbers so you can search places like EBay or Google. I order from Partzilla, sometimes you can get good prices but I always try to price check 3 different places before making it final.

Back