2 into 2 vs 2 into 1 exhaust

xs400neophite

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Hey all, hope all is well and you are enjoying yer XS400s.Havnt posted in a while so thought I would pick yer alls brains on a current issue I am having.
I was wondering what the advantages and disadvantages of the exhaust systems that are available for my '79XS bike? If I go to 2 into 1...what are the pros and cons? My right muffler is Kapudt and was thinking of going 2 into 1.Obvi the other choice is remaining 2 into 2. What do you all think and what is your opinion? Pros and cons. Torque? Power?Best After Market replacement mufflers? Ect, ect? Just wondering.
Happy Easter y'all.:thumbsup:

Theres alot of advantages only muffler a bit more speed and they sound so much better over stock.They also look cool.
Disadvatage is they are a bit expensive around $300.

Last edited:
2 into 1 offers a better torque curve and possibly lower noise with lower overall weight.

2 into 2 with stock headpipes and replacement mufflers will be cheaper. And that is all that I can say that is positive about this option...

2 into 2 sounds just fine aftermarket, I love my set. I personally think they look better also. Just an opinion though.

The 2-1 mac system replaces the headers which is a huge plus in my opinion. I didn't think the 2-2 system provided new headers, just mufflers. I am not absolutely certain though.

Yes the 2 in 2 has new headers with the 2 mufflers.I seen some pics somewhere maybe on here.If you can afford I think the 2 N 1 is the best way to go.They`re on my wish list.

issues with re-jetting? I have a 1982 DOHC, with stock 2 in 2, live at sea level, bike runs great the way it is, but needs new pipes ( rusting out )

Can I just swap in new 2 in 1 without rejetting?

The 2-1 will need to be jetted for. I will let you know for certain how it is compared to other setups soon because I have one coming in the next few days. The 2-1 pipe is quite a bit shorter than stock and I am willing to bet the outlet is bigger.

Back