2 VIN numbers

troy7548

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just got a bike that my dad has had for about 15-20 years. The Title says its a 1979 xs400. The Vin on the frame has 2LO and the engine has 2A2. New to the forum so wondering what I got going on. I can add pictures if needed but will be tomorrow.

Yep :) simply means a different model engine was put into your frame... I have a 4G5 frame with 2A2 engine. Pretty common thing these days considering the age of the bikes

full

full

full

Yep :) simply means a different model engine was put into your frame... I have a 4G5 frame with 2A2 engine. Pretty common thing these days considering the age of the bikes

So are all the parts the same for the 77 to 79 motor. I am going to be changing the oil and cleaning the carbs if not rebuilding them. Just want to make sure I get the right parts ordered if I have to look for 77 instead of 79.

Looks like the lower end was off a 77. The top end is post 77 because of the round style motor. The 77 was square. 2L0 was used in 78 and 79. If your build date on the bike is 77 it's a 78 if it is 78 then it's a 79. 77-79 all carb parts are the same and all internal engine parts too. I do notice that your exhaust is off a 80-82 sohc xs400.

Yeah I am not even sure where my dad got it from. All I know is he has had it for at least 15 years. This is the first bike I learned to ride on.

I just wanted to make sure before I started changing oil and cleaning or rebuilding the carbs.

Back