'81 XS400 Doesn't Want to Charge

Off topic, but how loud is the valvetrain typically on these bikes? When it's running there's pretty loud valve tick.

Make sure the valves are adjusted to spec and done in the proper sequence. There are threads on this subject in the forum.

Make sure the valves are adjusted to spec and done in the proper sequence. There are threads on this subject in the forum.

I have looked at a few threads, I've adjusted them twice now in the right order using the manual. I would just like to know what is normal.

:DI might re-visit my wiring when I put this away for the season. Thanks for posting you solution!!!!! :pimp::popcorn:

You're welcome! I was so excited to have it finally fixed after trying for so long to figure out what was wrong with it, I just had to share! Kinda confused as to why it works, though haha i guess the 650 is a little different in terms of wiring.

I have looked at a few threads, I've adjusted them twice now in the right order using the manual. I would just like to know what is normal.

These will make a little noise. The biggest thing is when you are turning the motor to tdc do NOT to let the crank move backward off the mark at all. Even a little bit backward to hit the mark if you over shot it will put slack in the cam chain causing a bad adjustment.

These will make a little noise. The biggest thing is when you are turning the motor to tdc do NOT to let the crank move backward off the mark at all. Even a little bit backward to hit the mark if you over shot it will put slack in the cam chain causing a bad adjustment.

Crap. I bet thats part of my problem then. A few times I rotated the crank back a hair after I missed the TDC mark.

That will do it. Either get someone to hold it for you. Or you can use a strap or jack to hold it in place. Removing the spark plugs also helps.

Last edited:
That will do it. Either get someone to hold it for you. Or you can use a strap or jack to hold it in place. Removing the spark plugs hold also.

Guess I'll have to give that a shot, then. I don't mind though, finally have a bike that charges!!!

Back