82' Cafe Build

KC-AceCafe

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pics are in order from when I got the bike a month ago, to where it is now. I still have to finish the fiberglass bubble seat, it will hold a nice butterscotch leather wrapped cushion which will hopefully tie in the new biltwell grips coming this week. I'll upload another pic once they arrive. Once the seat is finished, the battery will be tucked under the seat hump.

*Bad cellphone quality pics* :poke:

Attachments

• Bike.jpg
    Bike.jpg
    298 KB · Views: 268
  • Bike3.jpg
    Bike3.jpg
    294 KB · Views: 270
  • Bike5.jpg
    Bike5.jpg
    284.7 KB · Views: 280
  • Bike7.jpg
    Bike7.jpg
    313.1 KB · Views: 281
Thanks guys, the tank is actually just bare metal right now. I think I'm going to hit it with clear.

I saw some clear at Home Depot designed for bare metal applications; I have no idea if it works well!

As soon as you get a drop of gas on there, the clear will go to $hit.

Maybe do a couple of coats of the bare metal clear, then over that, spray some Dupli Color wheel/rim clear. It's supposed to resist chemicals better than traditional clears.

Of course, the best route would be to have it cleared with a gun (ie two part urethane).

love the look of the bike and the idea of just clearing the bare metal is cool, a old timer tip take some trans fluid and put on a rag and wipe the tank this will keep it from rusting for a good while.

Yup :) I'm trying to find a good, durable clear coat to apply. Still working away on the seat though, I have very little time to work on the bike which is upsetting. My grips came in the mail yesterday so I'll have to upload some pics once I throw those on and get the seat sanded down and mounted.

Sorry! I actually just bought a second car and it takes up the garage (also my working space for the bike). I started with the fiberglass seat but it didnt turn out how i wanted it to and i ended up wasting 100 bucks in material.

I popped the resonators out of the mufflers and with the mix of the pod filters its obvious i need to rejet the carbs to get it running right.

I'll keep you posted.

Back