82' Maxim 650 rack on an 82' Maxim 400?

XS400joe

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hello all!

I searched around but didn't see anything about this. Just recently got my first motorcycle, a 82' Maxim 400 last summer and am looking to making it a little more functional, so I'm trying to find a luggage rack so I can strap on a ghetto milk crate and cart groceries around, etc.

What I'm wondering about is this. I found a used luggage rack from a fellow on craigslist off of his 82' 650 Maxim, and I'm trying to figure out if the fittings and things would be compatible with my 400, or if there are special adapter pieces you can get if it's not? Anyone had any luck with this kind of thing before? To my novice eye it looks like his tail lights are part of the rack, in which case there would be electric work involved...?

Here's a picture of my bike, and also of his and the rack, if it helps at all! Thanks for your input in advance!

Joe

Attachments

• luggagerack.jpg
    luggagerack.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 277
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    278.4 KB · Views: 267
Looks to me like there are no mounting points for your bike like there are on the larger one. Maybe one of the dohc guys on the forum will chime in on something that will work for your bike.

I think you will find that the rack simply fits around and over the taillights on that 650.

Here's a pic of my Maxim 650 which shows how the turn-light mounting bracket hangs down and then out from the bike. The stoplight is mounted to the fender far enough back and down on the fender so the rack doesn't interfere. Just from the pics, it's hard to say for sure if the rack would also sit above the 400's light but it looks to me as though you might have even more clearance above the 400's taillight at least.

Worth a try if the price is right - though you don't want try to load a crate with too much weight on the 400 since you would likely be drilling and mounting to a plastic fender instead of the metal frame which the rack can attach to on the 650.

Attachments

• Max 650, tailight mountings.jpg
    Max 650, tailight mountings.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 283
Back