A few questions about top end rebuild

Other than starting over and following the manual to the letter I have one other suggestion:

Did you at any time allow the cam chain to go slack when the cam was out? It is possible that the cam chain is bunched up or otherwise not seated properly on the crank shaft. I have had this happen to me before.

Well, when i was adjusting the timing it bunched up and locked up but I reversed the bolt by the stator and got it to free up. When I put the tensioner back on it was looking good. Having a mechanic friend come to look at it today again so I'll let you all know what the problem is. The only thing I could think is something needs adjusting or I didn't put the cam in the right spot still.. Anyone know what timing mark and what position the cam should be in?

Had a look through the spark plug hole and could see that I had the intake valve hitting a piston =/ fixed it and now its perfect. Gonna throw some yamabond on there and bolt her back up. Just took apart the carbs and cleaned em, should have it running by tomorrow =D

Good job! So it was cam chain timing. Easy as pie! Good thing you remembered to turn it over by hand before trying to start it.

Back