After running lighting dims and engine dies

Savantjk

Newbie to the xs400 world
Reaction score
I just got the bike back together.. I can crank it, it idles fine.. and then the lighting dims and it dies.. won't crank again unless I kill the ignition and let it sit for a while. Then the same story over again. Battery is new and puts off proper volts. Is it the alternator possibly? Any other suggestions?

Thanks guys
-Jeramy

not the alternator as the battery volts should last for at least an hour.

Do you have electronic ignition? possibly getting warm and a dry solder disconnecting.

poss coils getting hot and braking down, cooling and letting you start them again!

I eliminated the electronic start. I was thinking the battery provided the cca's to crank and the alternator helped take over after that. My battery is maintaining power since I can let it sit without charging it and crank again a few minutes later.

Does that still sound like it could be the coils?

If you haven't downloaded the manual here's the link: View attachment 3882 Go to page 23 of the PDF, that's where the electrical section starts, tells how to test system for charging, test your coils, etc.

What Drewpy was referring to was the TCI box, if you have '80 or '81, electronic ignition, not electric start.

It is an '81 model. Would the ignition coils have anything to do with it not dropping a rev? Engine runs great until revved then it doesn't return to idle. I'm going to run over grounds tomorrow.

even though it is a new battery did you charge it? they need to be charged after you take it home from the store.

Bought it from battery mart and they send them charged. It will power the system before it kills over.. then after a few minutes it has the juice to power it again.

So this is where I'm at. Bike won't crank unless jumped off.. then cranks fine. Runs while cables are hooked up. If I unhook the cables it shortly dies.. Engine cuts off along with lighting.

Battery is charged. Fuses are good. New blade fuse box put in.

Does this sound like ignition coils?

Savantjk, im having the same problem with my xs400sj. I just got a new battery and I haven't tried it since I got it but that's exactly what was happening. I was told by another person it was the stator or voltage regulator...I don't know if that's right or not...so any help would be greatly appreciated

Do not remove the battery cable while the motor is running! You can easily screw up the alternator/regulator/TCI unit. Download and read the manual! lha

Still sounds like a bad battery to me, possibly just the battery or possibly because the bike is not charging and repeatedly draining it all the way has damaged it (it happens). A battery can put out 12+ volts, but supply very little current (Amps). Not enough amps- not enough power.

Do you still have the instruction pamphlet that came with the battery? My friend bought a battery online and it came fully charged. However, buried in the directions was a notice that all new batteries should still be fully charged before use. Anyway, he didn't read the directions and his new battery was toast after a few hours and wouldn't hold more than 7 volts.

Are you actually measuring the potential or just assuming the battery is good because it's new? Are you measuring potential while the bike is running to make sure it's charging?

Back