almost bought a bike today from an idiot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OREGONFARMER

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Been looking for a big bike for myself lately. Found a "93 Kawasaki Zephyr 1100 and went to take a look. First, I like this style of bike. Old KZ and new ZRX styling combined. Awesome.

So I give this guy a call. Takes us two weeks to line up our schedules (He's way too busy?). Bike is at a "freinds" shop. Get there and two guys come out to meet me. Start talking to the bigger-older of the two and the smaller, 5' 2" 120lb. 18 year old says it's his bike. O.K. This is almost a 500lb bike, what was he thinking?

Look the bike over and of course it's got deep scratches all over the paint--everywhere. But I can tell it's never been down. Mileage is WAY to low. Red flag!! Shows wear of being stored outside. Chrome pitting on fuel cap, black plastic fadded, water/rust stains on frame, motor oxodized.

Ask for the title. It's not in his name. It's from another state. Ask for bill of sale. He has two, one from the first reasign and the second who sold the bike to him. Second red flag!!

I told him to not start the bike till I got there. It took 5+minutes to warm up just to idle with choke on. I opened the fuel tank and found the third strike-----Kreme job. Probably the most half assed tank lining job ever (which he fesses up to doing). Rust and "kreme" floating in the tank.

Oh, I forgot. No license / tags. This punk had the bike out last week and claimed he had it up over 100 mph for more than 2 miles. Then he fesses up to not having a license because of getting a DUI!!!! And he's been unemployed for a year?:wtf:

He wanted $2,700 and I really wanted to find a bike worth $2,000. Instead I left empty handed and probably way better off. (I did make an offer of $800 just to be an A-hole).
A new tank from japan and four carb kits later, new tires and a paint job---maybe then it would be a nice bike.

Back to Craigslist,

Farmer

PS. I'm not an A-hole but sometimes-------------------nevermind!

Being able to start cold is a good indicator of the overall condition of the carbs and engine. If the bike is pre-warmed you might not know that it takes 5+ minutes of kicking/starting to get it going; this would suck to find out after you bought it.

I think he meant that the bike would not idle until it was running on choke for 5 minutes. This is just as bad. Bikes in good tune should only need to choke for a very short time; from there you should be able to turn it off and maybe give it a bit of throttle if necessary. It shouldn't need an ultra-rich choke fuel mix for that long. With choke on that long the risk of fouling the plugs is high.

Thanks for stepping up BC--right on all counts. Cold starts, no matter the weather, are super important when not knowing any history. Diesel engines even more so.

My XS project has taken a back seat to getting 80 acres of squash planted and spraying our other 800 acres.

Big birthday party Monday--my son's first!!!!!!!!!

Back