Another FNG

Jasons81XS400

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Sup guys/gals! Names Jason, just picked up my first bike last week. Its an 81 XS400, with 4,500 original miles. Im normally a car guy and am a former Import drag racer, so this 2 wheel thing is a whole new experience for me. I dont really have any set plans for the bike as its basically a get to work bike to save some gas, but I know I'm going to make it mine in a few ways. Anyway here is the bike (yes the flames are on the top of my list to go)
P5050027.jpg

P5050028.jpg

front drum brakes look dope! welcome! i come from import cars too (drifting) what did you have? post up in the "our other rides" thread

Well I just went thru my first few modifications. I junked the glass fuse block and replaced it with a spade fuse block from summit. I went to polish some of the chrome with some good stuff when I noticed the flames on the right side of the tank were starting to peel...which turned into....
P5190039.jpg

Sanding down the bike and giving it a flat black paint job. Hit the head pipes with some ceramic coat and touched up some other minor things as well

I also retrofitted a 7" delta H4 hallogen head light into the stock housing/trim ring
P5190040.jpg

P5190041.jpg

P5190042.jpg

I like that 7" headlight. How difficult was it to get it to work in the original housing?

Good work on the other things, by the way.

I like that 7" headlight. How difficult was it to get it to work in the original housing?

Good work on the other things, by the way.

Thanks.
Not hard at all. Take out the old headlight, remove the inner ring. Where the inner ring screws into the outter ring, you cut/grind off the mounting tabs. Thats gives enough room for the 7" to fit into the outter ring. Move the wires out of the way as this one is a shade deeper, and it went right into place.

Thanks.
Not hard at all. Take out the old headlight, remove the inner ring. Where the inner ring screws into the outter ring, you cut/grind off the mounting tabs. Thats gives enough room for the 7" to fit into the outter ring. Move the wires out of the way as this one is a shade deeper, and it went right into place.

Excellent. thanks.

Back