ANOTHER Jet/Muffler Question

Tombo

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Hey ya'lls

Been a minute since I've written a post here - mostly because my 1980 xs400 has been running like a champ...

....until...

...The flippin' baffles broke AGAIN in my (replacement) stock exhaust! Now the damned bike has the noisiest crappiest exhaust sound (rattly), AND the bike is practically impossible to tune (inconsistent back pressure).:banghead:

So I decided: FUCK stock exhaust. Not buying another one, even if the price is right. I decided to get Emgo shorties which I will buy from Dime City.

In doing so, I believe I will need to re-jet. A

As far as I know, my jets are stock: 135 main and 42.5.

WHERE do I buy a jet kit? I see single jets at mikes xs (large round type for bs34) but I would like to have several sizes on hand. Should I just buy like a half dozen of each (1 smaller, one the same, and 4 bigger)?

Any suggestions you have would be awesome

I see you are in san fran. Im sure the local shop has these jets. I found that most around salt lake do. Go hit them up. They also have good tidbits of inofrmation that can be helpful in your tuning.

@ksqrly - you'd be surprised. There are certainly places I could go to order them, but most of the would-be shops in the city don't cater to the xs400 (many are totally confused looking when I mention this bike. Their response is usually "Don't you mean xs650?".)

Thanks for your suggestion - I do buy most of my universal parts locally, and I have a shop for that.

Wow. You must have some weak ass shops in san fran. I called four different shops locally to get a feel for the parts guy and check prices, and they all carried them in stock.

Im not 100% but I think the jets are the same for some of the 650 carbs.

I think your mains are 140`s ,My bike is only 1 year newer than yours and thats what I had.I bumped them 2 sizes to compensate for open headers and pods.I bumped the pilots 2 sizes at first but went back down to 45`s.I havent even tryed to start the bike yet so IDK what improvements i made yet.Like as mentioned order a few different sizes that way if one combination doesnt work you have other options to try out.

ksqrly - Yah, the bs34 carb was used on the 650's. That's actually how I found the jets on mikes xs.

Dime city has the right mains, but not the right pilots.

Oh well. I was hoping someone could chime in before I place my order, but I gotta do it soon, cause I need the bike back running strong before I go on a week long trip with my lady. It'd be a shame for us to BOTH have to ride her rebel! lol

Not to Hijack but since you brought it up Im looking for a bike for my lady as well.Or if I can get me something better for both of us to ride.
Tombo MikesXS should take care of all your jets you need.

Back