Anyone know if 250 & 400 cranks are the same?

haga41cat

Xs Nerd
Reaction score
Hi guys,
Right rebuilding the 400 lump and found some smashy bits inside:yikes:, gear box ratios are the same so that problems sorted. I'm replacing all the big end and crank bearings anyway and as the 400 crank had some gouges in it, I was either going to clean it up a bit or use the spare crank I have from a 250, I know the rods are different, so would be putting the 400 rods on the 250 crank, but don't know about using the 250 crank.

Anyone got a part number for the 250? or know if e are the same. Cheers peeps :thumbsup:

Btw the 400 is a 2A2 76-77 US engine
Don't know about the 250 tho

Hi haga, just out of interest how many ks was on the motor. Was it normal wear from high ks or did it have a hard/negleted life?

Hi haga, just out of interest how many ks was on the motor. Was it normal wear from high ks or did it have a hard/negleted life?

Not sure brought it as just the motor, but it had petrol in the engine as well as oil then I found the broken gear dogs and also big end had large movement on number 1, and found the debri in the oil gallery and the bearing looking a bit picked up so want to change all the shells too anyway.

Have pics on this thread
http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8087

I think the webs are a different weight, so without balancing the crank to the pistons you may get a bit more vibration.

can't find my parts book ATM

found it, they have 2 separate part #

1L9-11411-00 = 250
2A2-11411-00 = 400

i think the 250 crank will work but as I said it will need balancing with the 400 pistons IMHO

found it, they have 2 separate part #

1L9-11411-00 = 250
2A2-11411-00 = 400

i think the 250 crank will work but as I said it will need balancing with the 400 pistons IMHO

I laid the 250 crank in and it looks perfect I need to take loads of measurements tho, but something I did measure was the web and they are smaller so im keen to weigh the two and see if its lighter, I will prob get it knife edged and polished too if im feeling flush with cash lol

Posted via Mobile

Back