big block XS250 (400) Turbocharged

if your talking oil pressure, check out the xj600s as a few German guys have successfully used these adapters on the sohc.

its in my blog

Just got my XJ600 plate which has a gap and doesn't seem to fit? Do you mean the XJ550 or 650? :shrug:

Found this on the german forum

"Fit the plate and Central screw of a XJ650 or XJ550."

mine fits, but the issue was the oil pipe connectors fouling the front mounts. xj600s

Firstly sorry Lcgtr for the slight highjack but i guess you'll need this info.

Looks like i am missing one part a collar maybe for the hose plate but these are the bits i got off ebay.
DSC_1267.jpg
DSC_1266.jpg

But its this part that fouls the engine lifting the plate by about 2mm :shrug:
DSC_1268.1.jpg

I think i'm right that this is a pressure plate, built in incase the filter becomes blocked allowing oil dirty or not to still get to the engine, didn't want to take it off and bypass the filter completely

I got a little adapter made to bring the plate out 10mm. this also allows clearance for the oil pipes :)

If I was you guys Id be tempted to try to fill and prime that cooler before you fit it and every time you change the filter.
The oil flows straight from the pump through to that filter on its way to the crank mains so while it is filling up all the pipes in the cooler your crank will be spinning dry. I doubt the bike the cooler came from runs an oil flow like that. The XS650 defiantly doesnt

I had a win this week. I checked my local classifieds (gumtree) for any Yamaha XS parts as I do and an XS400 motor popped up in my subub!
I rang the guy and asked if it was a DOHC or SOHC and it was a DOHC so that isnt as much of a win but I asked if it came with carbs. He said it came out on off road buggy and is complete with carbs and electrics. Whats better is that it was free!!... and came with these carbs
DOHC engine was running but was sitting and got water in carbs and rusted-siezed on 1 bore but is in bits now

IMAG0292.jpg

IMAG0294.jpg

36mm Keihin PWK D Flatslides
same type but one is slightly different series to the other

also this was on there dirt cheap

IMAG0290.jpg

IMAG0291.jpg

so I now have that as an option, which seems like the way too go as Ill only have to gin around with one set of jets and fab a 2-1 manifold.

Also I finished off the wheels for my other XS650 with Egli frame project.

IMAG0129.jpg

IMAG0130.jpg

The front is a TZ copy and the rear is a modified stock Yamaha (not sure which one)

Im building it based on the Egli CB750 / z900 frame

Egliblueprint.jpg

I met a guy last month who is a mate of a mate and he has an actual Egli made z900 frame that he brought in 79.

IMAG0205.jpg

Its badly cracked now after years of racing so he just has it as a trophy and made another better one for himself from Cromolly and has given me his jig to make up mine -- top bloke!

If I was you guys Id be tempted to try to fill and prime that cooler before you fit it and every time you change the filter.
The oil flows straight from the pump through to that filter on its way to the crank mains so while it is filling up all the pipes in the cooler your crank will be spinning dry. I doubt the bike the cooler came from runs an oil flow like that. The XS650 defiantly doesnt

use a one way valve or a temperature controlled valve :)

As for turbo options, def go with a turbo only. None of that turbo/manifold crap. Should be lots of KKK/Borg Warner turbos (K03) and Mitsu turbos (maybe a 12G or 14G??) floating around. There's also a knock off KKK/BW manufacturer that supposedly puts out a pretty reliable product and it's a couple hundo cheaper.

As for turbo options, def go with a turbo only. None of that turbo/manifold crap. Should be lots of KKK/Borg Warner turbos (K03) and Mitsu turbos (maybe a 12G or 14G??) floating around. There's also a knock off KKK/BW manufacturer that supposedly puts out a pretty reliable product and it's a couple hundo cheaper.

Reliable and cheap, yes. But if you need 2000ccs of engine to spin the turbo, and you've only got 250, then your lag might be a little much...

Turbos operate within a performance envelope based on how much air can be pushed through them. They're just double ended fan - exhaust blows one side, which spins the other side to push air. Basically, if the fan is too big, then the exhaust can't blow it fast enough.

I can only run so big of a turbo on my miata before the lag becomes too much. 1800ccs of engine at 7000 rpms can only do so much. The OP will have the same problem if they go too big.

Back