Bike Wont Start

agreen33

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Got the ignition on engine kill switch on. choke out. in neutral clutch ingaged. but the battery only buzzes. engine doesnt give a hint of a rumble. new to bikes so not sure where to start.

I had the same thing happen to me on Thursday morning. I had it running great Wednesday, then Thursday morning, nothing. The week earlier, I had to Run start it, (I know the bike is in running order, it just sat too long with out running. She started right up the week earilier. This week the kickstart kinda felt like the switch was off, but not quite. (hard to describe.) I pulled both Spark plug boots off, Twisted the plug wire where it goes into the Cap, and all that really does is give the Plug Cap a Fresh bite on the wires from the coil. Then of coarse plug it back onto the plugs. Next kick it came to life with a giant roar.

Another recommendation I love to give out, (because its Free) With out knowing if your plugs, Cap, Wire are new or not. If your wire is long enough, trim 1/2 inch (20mm)from both sides of the wire, re-seat the wire into the coil/plug cap, and give it shot.

The plugs listed in my signature are $2.50 at most places where you buy car stuff (NGK), I don't suspect a new Cap (5k Ohm) and wire are much more than that. I think I was pleasently surpised how inexpensive it was to get those 3 things.

This is just a start.
in neutral clutch ingaged.
When you start the bike, the green light should be on, and clutch should not be touched. So that means the Green light is that your gearing is in Neutral, so you don't need to grip any thing else. Maybe your brakes if your on a hill or something.

but the battery only buzzes.
You got me on that one. The bike will not start unless the volts are roughly over 11 Volts. and will not run once battery is discharged to below roughly 9volts. We don't have buzzers on the XS400's. let us know what type of 400 you have. perhaps you have new-er one that has one? So make sure its charged up, and a bad battery

Once you click Control panel, it will say signature on the left side of the screen, then you have to tell every new thread what you have.

Start with this Thread first.
http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10595

Back