Broken pilot (idle) screw tip fix. AWSOME!!!

Greasey Fingers

XS400 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Broken air fuel mixture screw tip FIX (pilot air idle screw). AWSOME!!!

I gotta share this with you guys, I cant belive it I managed to push out a broken tip from my carb. I am stoked and no drilling. Heres what I did...

Totally stripped the carb so all I was left was just the carb body, make sure you remove any rubber seals etc.

Used a heat gun and directed heat in the two places pictured below. You could probably use a propane torch?

Attachments

• DSC09697.jpg
    DSC09697.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 646
  • DSC09699.jpg
    DSC09699.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 856
Last edited:
Then I got a sewing needle and checked it would fit through the other carbs hole to get the correct size. I just wanted the fattest one I could that would still fit through so I had as much strength as possible.

Edit: Cut the point off the needle first, you don't want the pointy end.

I cut a 7mm piece off the sewing needle.

I stuck it on the end of a pair of adjustable pliers (pictured below) with a bit of blue tak just so I could line it up in the hole.

Then straight after I applied the heat I carefully placed the needle in the hole and gently applied pressure and progressively applied more and more. Just make sure you line up the needle as square to the hole as possible.

It took two goes of applying heat and BANG she came out :)

The most important part of this job is patience.

This was stuck in there really bad I had already pretty much given up on the carb.... it was a last ditch effort, words cant express how awesome it felt when she popped out :bike:

Attachments

• DSC09700.jpg
    DSC09700.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 664
  • DSC09701.jpg
    DSC09701.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 660
  • DSC09702.jpg
    DSC09702.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 1,090
Last edited:
Good call, just for anyone else using this method I didn't get the carb red hot or anything I just heated until it was too hot to touch. I maybe held the heat gun on each area on high for about 30-45 seconds from memory. I think a few heat cycles would help too possibly, so it could be worth to just heat it up and let it cool down a few times first.

Back