Burnin' fuses

nickklugs

Seems legit
Reaction score
I just got my xs360 running well and I was just letting it idle and it shut off randomly. I thought I killed the battery (from excessive idling) but it turns out that one of the fuses was blown. I also found out the previous owner had bypassed two of the fuses... So is something not grounded properly? Since I am just testing it all I have grounded is the battery negative and the condenser to the frame. I don't have any lights or accessories wired up. So is there an issue with the rectifier or something?

Nick

In the thread about your bike losing spark and dying I suggested that you verify that everything is connected as per the wiring diagram. You said everything was stock and working.

I also asked whether any fuses were bypassed. You did not answer this question.

The reason I asked about the fuses is that I suspected the previous owner had bypassed them. Depending on how badly the previous owner mangled the electrical system it's possible that a short to ground happens when shifting out of neutral.
IF everything were connected properly, working, and fuses were not bypassed it would simply blow a fuse.
BUT, if the fuses were bypassed it could sink enough current to stop the ignition circuit from working, making you lose spark, and killing the engine.

Trying to troubleshoot a bike with electrical issues while only selectively connecting what you think you need for it to work, will not work.

You need to go through all the wiring, checking it against the wiring diagram, and connecting it properly.

Like actually this time.

Connect it how it should be connected. Understand how it should work. Then you can change it to how you want it to be.

Yeah sorry about that. I must have skipped over the question when I was reading it or something... I read up on wiring diagrams and also studied/figured out JimVonBaden's simplified wiring diagram for his scrambler build. I took the shrink wrap and tape off of my wiring harness and found that there was a lot of spliced wires that were protected with scotch tape. I don't want to go through and figure out what it all does so I am just going to start from scratch and make a new one similar to Jim's.

Nick

Back