Buying bikes with no ownerships (registrations)

xs400newbie

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been scouring the local classifieds looking for an older bike to rebuild/restore and I'm finding that the owners of many of these older machines do not have titles/ownerships for their bikes. Can any member here comment on the law regarding this in Ontario, Canada?
Should I just steer clear? Is it a matter of simply asking for the VIN and taking it to the local licensing office to inquire if I can register it?
I don't own a museum, so yes the purpose is to make it road worthy and legal.

Thanks!

Hmm, soon after I contacted a seller asking if he was the registered owner and if there was a VIN on the bike, the ad gets removed. I'm thinking I'm not even going to bother with a bike that doesn't have the proper paperwork.

Contrary to popular opinion any private seller of a motorcycle in Ontario has to provide a UVIP (Used Vehicle information Package) from the Ministry of Transportation. It is the responsibility of the seller to provide it. The package has the history of the bike in Ontario, any "Brand" issues (i.e. "Salvage", "Rebuilt", Irrepairable"), liens, and on newer vehicles an approximate value for taxes when transferring the registration.

Any legitimate seller should be able to hand you the UVIP when you go to look at the bike. Make sure that the paperwork matches up with the bike. A few years back I bought a 50cc scooter that had the UVIP, Safety Standards Certificate, and registration, only to find out later that the VIN number on the scooter did not match the VIN number on the paperwork. My mistake was in not checking it out myself and taking someone's word for it. :doh: I did eventually sort it out but the lesson here is that when you see the paperwork make sure it matches the VIN number on the steering neck of the bike.

Best thing to do is to check out the MTO website as almost any question you can ask about buying or selling any vehicle in Ontario is covered there.

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/vehicle/used.shtml

Not sure about Canada but here in Minnesota I had to supply a few pictures with 1 showing the frame vin and 1 showing the engine vin. They should match. Then there is a statement of facts that you know or have been told by the Previous owner. On my LS2 I think I had to pay $80.00 for the replacement title and 25 for the licenseplate & tabs. There was also some sales tax involved. A relatively simple ordeal.

We'll see what happens with this one. The process wasn't really much hassle but I know the LS2 was off the DMV books for a while. This XS400 I'm not as sure of. I found it on Craigs list and it was within 15 miles of me. The seller was an extremely personable older fellow guessing around early to mid 60's who bought the bike from an estate a few years ago. Wish me luck or maybe it'll become a donor for a titled frame.

Just logged on to the Minnesota DMV web site this afternoon. There is a VIN search on the site. I used it to determine if my bike was still on the state register. There is NO record of my VIN #. Good News all I have to do now is take a few pictures with 2 showing the frame and engine numbers that match. Bring them to the DMV with a Statement of facts bring my check book and write them a check. It's really a simple process in Minnesota.:bike:

In California the buyer is responsible for any and all registration back fees. We are in so much debt that our state won't waive any. I bought a $700 bike that had almost $700 in backfees. I went to the DMV initially and the lady wouldnt budge, she told me I'm screwed basically. Went home and did some research and found there was a way to get it waived but it all depends on who your clerk is. I went back a week later and got a young guy who was kind enough to accept the fee waiver after I filled out some additional forms. Here in the thread I made about it:

http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8628

Every state will have different laws so you'll have to do a little research to see what you can find.

.I bought my Yamaha from a friend here in Texas. He had the title but it was sold in 1998, not to him but the fellow before him and he never had the title put in his name.
Back in the old days, you would simply pay the fees and go on.
Now I had to supply bill of sale from the buyer in 98, luckily we had that, and pay an insurance Co. $150 to get a surety bond on the bike $15 to TXDOT and $50 to the county. So my $50 bike cost $200+ just for paperwork, but she is now legal and all mine!

Back