cam chain tensioner woes

branson

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
I know the manual says the cam chain tensioner needs no maintainence but I cannot fathom how a spring won't loose some tension in 33 years. My cam chain jumped two teeth again :( I've already fought this thing once. Bought a used setup (can't find new) and I'm in the same mess again. Is there any way to either buy a new one or manually tweek my existing one to aquire enough tension to keep my bike timed and safe? Jumping two teeth on the freeway makes one a lil less chipper.

Have you replaced the chain yet? It could be stretched out causing your issue.

Not yet. I was rather hoping to not have to do a 80% rebuild again. There's gotta be a better way. All my old hondas still have factory chains and twice the mileage. They're also 10 years older. I thought chain auto-tensioners existed to eat up the chain stretch.

Is it like using a torch to remove the temper from a pin so I could hammer it rivet style and not need a clip?

Well that's rather interesting :D. Is there any way to gtest my tensioner other than looking to see if all the peices are there?

I couldn't find any. Right now its too tight to put on if I took enough off to shorten mine by two links and I have to un-bolt the sprocket from the camshaft to get the chain on before I rebolt the sprecket . I figured that was about right but there is a bit of slack when its all put back without the tensioners and guide I did find I broke my tensioner arm right at the bend so I get to replace that again. At least this time I had one (the previous owner didn't put any tensioner or guide in the bike so I got to fix that).

Back