Can someone please "proofread" this wiring diagram?

MitchMotors

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys!
Besides the speedo and control lights (flashers, neutral, hi/lo) I finished my shot on an reduced wiring diagram based on the colored wiring diagram that can be found on german XS400.net
It's kick only but has flashers, front and rear brake switches, horn etc.
I went with an aftermarket ignition lock to get rid of some switches.

preview:

higher res:
http://s7.directupload.net/images/140421/owpfhgy4.jpg

Too many circuits will be powered when the key is in the "accessory" PO position. Only the marker lights should be powered when the key is in this position. Otherwise it looks good.

Thanks for taking the time.
In PO I just wanted the engine to have power so the lights only start to suck power from the battery when the engine is running and charges the battery.
So, which of the wires that go down to the engine will need power to get the bike running with the kickstarter? Black/white or brown? Red always has power, just like in the original diagram.

On the other hand, exept the engine itself everything that gets power in PO position has to be operated. Horn, flashers, brake light...
So nothing will actually drain power as long it's not activated.

PS: electrics really aren't my favourites...

Last edited:
If that was your goal, you have accomplished it!

Black/White powers the ignition. Brown the charging system. Technically you'd only have to have the ignition powered to get the bike running. But, if you started it and forgot to switch the key to the On position, your battery will be slowly discharged and you could ride it with no brake lights or turn signals. This would only be handy if one were trying to run from the police - and a 400 won't make a good getaway bike... :)

I'd suggest that you now draw out a diagram with the components correctly located so you can get a good idea of how the wiring harness will have to be physically laid out.

In Germany you have to ride a motorcycle with lights on. I have a switch that contains hi/lo, horn and flasher buttons, so I want to use the ignition lock as a light switch replacement. That way I can get the handlebars a bit cleaner.

The components aren't that much out of their location, except that I put the left and rear flashers close together and separated the flasher switch from the other switches for a better overview. The relay will sit under the tank and the ignition lock will find it's place in the electrics tray under the seat.

Guess I can start wiring it up then.

Back