Can't figure out which parts to get for my heritage special.

rugbywarrior89

Need more time...
Reaction score
I need a tach cable and a petcock rebuild kit for my 82 heritage special (SOHC). Unfortunately, this bike NEVER shows up on the list of fits. I bought one petcock rebuild kit from mikesxs and installed it but it didn't work, then I found out that the black ring with the four holes was too big. I think it was the one rated for the years up to 81. but the part for the 82-83 was for the SECA. Should I have bought that one instead?

Also, apparently the XS400 Special is not the same as the XS400 Heritage Special. WTF!? Am I wrong?

Same with the tach cable. I haven't bought one because I have no idea which one will fit my bike.

At this point, I don't care where the parts come from. Although I have found that Amazon has the rebuild kits for 1/2 of what mikesxs wants with free shipping.

Please help!

Tach cable will fit all sohc years. The petcock is the same from 80-82 sohc bikes.

That helps. I found a tach cable I think but all the rebuild kits only specify up to 81. All the 82-83 models are either SECA or MAXIM.

Could you possibly give me a link?

That helps. I found a tach cable I think but all the rebuild kits only specify up to 81. All the 82-83 models are either SECA or MAXIM.

I think the only go to 81 is because of the overlap on the dohc and the sohc bikes. A lot of people get confused so they stop at 81 which is the same as the 82 sohc xs400 just with different paint setup ( blacked out parts instead of aluminum):)

Back