Carb Mounts

hjennings

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Hey all!

I recently inherited an '81 XS400. It appears to be all complete except for the carbs. I just purchased a set of good carbs, the "H-pipe" air box (or whatever you guys call it, and filters. My bike has the rubber boots that attach the carbs to the engine. I have two questions.

1) The boots that attach the carbs to the engine are pretty weathered and cracked. I think I have an OK chance of them not leaking, but if replacement are available I'd be up for just throwing two new ones on as I don't want there to be a bunch of vacuum leaks. So, is their a source for these?

2) Is there a mount that holds the carb in place? So far all I have is the rubber boots that attach the carbs to the engine. There are two small threaded holes on each side of each carb on the air filter side. It looks to me that maybe a mount attaches here and then bolts to the frame somewhere. I don't see where it would mount, but haven't looked all that close yet. Is there a mount here? If so, can somebody send me some pictures? I'd like to see if I could fabricate one (assuming there is one originally).

Thanks!:bike:

What is the piece coming off of those? Mine that are on the bike now don't have anything like that. Vacuum port? What would it hook to?

My bike is an '81, but I got the previous gen carbs (as the '81s run really lean).

Yeah, they're vacuum ports; on my bike one is capped and the other sends vacuum to the petcock. If you have a manual petcock you can just cap them both.

Definately replace the carb joints as linked to above. You want to eliminate any possibility of an air leak.

Those are the supports for the carbs. They are metal covered in rubber and very strong. Just be sure to use the hose clamps on them and the carbs won't come off.

Depending on the petcock you have you may need to cap one or both of the vacuum ports. If you have the original vacuum-type petcock you attach a small hose from the petcock vacuum port to the right carb mount and cap the left one.

Hope that makes sense.

Search HERE for the parts diagrams for your bike. There are other places to find parts fisches as well.

Also, download a manual for your bike from this site. It really helps.

Got it. Thanks guys! Now that I look at the carbs in the daylight clearly there are the vacuum ports. One is attached and the other is plugged. Ordering up new boots. Thanks again!

Back