Chain and Sprockets

Ruined1

82 Maxim xs400 Owner
Reaction score
If I'm replacing the sprockets because they should have been long ago (with their shaved and slightly bent teeth, I swear the PO knew NOTHING about maintaining a bike... feel bad for his 500 vulcan...) do I need to replace the chain too? Mines in excellent condition and I've been chain waxing it since I got the bike. :confused:

Also can someone PLEASE post a PICTURE OR SOMETHING showing me where the hell my reservoir is locate on xs400 for the blinker fluid? The previous owner said he topped it off, but I cant find the tank... It must be good as the signals work... but there's no harm in checking right :D

No, it's next to the windshield washer fluid reservoir. ={:->

:bow2:
Not only was it funny, but it actually stumped me for like 2 seconds because I was like "Wait I thought we were naming things that weren't real..."

then it hit me...

"... ON A BIKE":laughing:

So no one answered my sprocket question yet :p

I would at least grab a new chain in case that one fails IMO, but if none of the links are giving you resistance when you check them individually, there's no apparent physical damage, and you haven't needed to adjust the tension much then it's probably fine.

Also, don't forget to loosen the Johnson belt!

I agree with PsuedoMonkey on checking the links in the chain and as long as there is still adjustment in the chain tension left i wouldnt hesitate to reuse it. Also when checking the links i would check for any play in them as well as resistance, any play would indicate that it is starting to wear.

just bought some engine scrub, should help with the carbon deposits

EngineScrub.jpg

I like the Kuhneutson valves, superior to inferior Kuhneutson valves and for use on engines especially with camshafts....So what? They don't work so good on a 2 stroke? hahahh. That deal had me laughing pretty good. I mean they even have "Round Tuits" for $129 bucks, sold unpainted anticipating colors when the get around to it.

Back