Changing Gear ratios.

Orgoth225

XS400 Member
Reaction score
To all you fellow xs'ers out there, what would be a manufactuare that you would suggest if you wanted to buy gears for and what ratios would you suggest to get the most speed out of. Many thanks

Here is a link to a resource about different sprocket sizes. As far as a good manufacturer to buy them from i'm not all that experienced on the different brands but im sure someone on here will be able to help you out. Also when you say you are looking to get the most speed, why do you want that? I would be carefull about going too far because you will loose a lot of your power to climb hills and what not.

unless your talking front and rear sprockets, the internal gears are already optimised by a company called Yamaha as the best ratios for your bike.
:)

Sorry for the mix-up, but yes indeed I'm thinking about the sprockets. I want to try to get a little more efficiency and less revs at highway speed.

Sorry for the mix-up, but yes indeed I'm thinking about the sprockets. I want to try to get a little more efficiency and less revs at highway speed.

There has been a good deal of discussion here on sprocket sizes. If you haven't already done so, take some time to do a search and read up on what others have said.

With a higher ratio gearing,you'll get higher speeds at lower rpms,and you have only to downshift to get power to climb hills or to pass others on the highway.One tooth larger on the front or a couple less in the rear will change ratio a little. lha

Back