Cleaned carbs now have a hanging rpm issue

i may just ride it some and see if it clears up. im really just trying to fix it to get to sell able shape.

It sounds like the carbs or an air leak; if it was ignition it wouldnt idle right. Ignition should affect the engine at all stages I believe, even at idle.

If there are no signs of leaks and it seems to idle fine check the main jets, emulsion tube, needle, needle height, and measure the float height.

The carbs sort of transition from pilot jet control, to needle control, to straight up main jets with some overlap. So, at 1/4 to 3/4 throttle or so you're looking more at main jet circuit and slide needle.

What year are the carbs? Pre 80 34's idle mix screws in to make rich. 80 and after screw out. Could you post some pics of them?

its a 77 xs. i didnt see any serials or numbers on the carbs. im going to try screwing them the other way and see if it helps

On my 78 unscrewing the idle screws 8+ turns is the only thing that would get it t start with my emgo shorty mufflers; it would not start on less than, say, 4 turns out. Loosening must be making it richer.

I just thought of something though. Dman, the title suggests you didnt have any problems before cleaning the carbs, but now you do after you cleaned them? You probably did not tighten a connection well enough on the air intake side or carb boots. Maybe the gaskets and seals were fine before, but since they sat for a long time and you broke them free they are no longer sealing well.

it wouldn't start without starting fluid or gas directly in the carb and the bike would only run briefly before cleaning them. the jets were all completely clogged. the diaphragms wouldn't open either. it all was cleaned and soaked. ill check for air leaks better.

Back