CLR for electrical leaning?

branson

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Just thinking about cleaning some electrical pigtails on my 1980 xs400 special MIGHT help with my orange spark and one lung woes but not sure what the best way to go about it in the pigtails would be. Has anyone tried a CLR dip, Q-tip application or anything like that? It's a pain the the sphincter to try to use anything abrasive on them and was hoping to try something a lil less blunt force seeing as to pushing and prying on 33 yer old plastic and metal seems like it could go very poorly if done wrong. any insight would be appreciated. not sure if there'd be a residue issue or not either. contacts have some kind of whiteish buildup all over them

Just pull the wires from the pigtails and hit them with sandpaper or a wire wheel. The wires are removable. There is usually a tab holding them in place on the contact "prong" side. If you're careful you can pull them out without breaking anything; I just did it a few days ago. Do one wire at a time so you don't mess up the order :) Just don't pull very hard; they should be easy to remove if you're pushing on the retainer tab. I used a "hook and pick" set to do this.

I'd be concerned with the wire wicking the cleaner up under the insulation where you won't be able to rinse it out. That would cause corrosion and wire failures over time.

I agree with your reasoning, I'm just concerned that in the long term this might make it worse.

I just dont know if there is a proper solvent. hadnt thought about wires wicking up solvent. just know how well that stuff eats the cacium/lime buildup we midwestern yanks seem to find on everything lol. idk if i should try it or just stick with what i know (wire toothbrush) i just doesn't really get down in there. i havent had any issues dissconnecting or reconnecting pigtails its more an issue of trying to put a wire bristle in a hole thats smaller than the brush. idk of any good tools that fit in something that small that deep. bottle brushes arent abrasive enough and if i wrap sandpaper around a screwdriver im prying the electical tabs apart and theyre a wee bit brittle for bending back to shape

You could use something like this.

Attachments

• DSC01910.jpg
    DSC01910.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 171
Awesome. Never would've thought to look for something like that. Directions say anything other than spray n pray? Maybe wait 5 minutes?

I took a finishing nail, and hammered one end of it, so that it turned into a flat spade shape, That was an excellent tool to help pop the connector/wire from each other.

Awesome. Never would've thought to look for something like that. Directions say anything other than spray n pray? Maybe wait 5 minutes?

They sell the electronics cleaner at walmart in the car section and, of course, every auto parts store. Be careful, however; the cleaner Chris pictured is quite volatile. Seriously, keep any ignition source far away from that stuff; it goes up like ether.

You could also try a nail file; they come small and quite abrasive. They should also be cheap because you can get the disposable type made of a tough plastic/paper.

great idea and warning thank you i may just end up doing that nail file bit. ive honestly never had an issue with disconnecting a pigtail i just know how brittle old plastic can get and trying to force a wad of wire into a space smaller than the wire tends to either break plastic or bend the contacts. my contacts break of in three bends so that's not something i wanna pry on lol thanks for all the help and your time

I pulled mine apart 2 or three times, When I re-wired, I ordered new ones from mikesxs. and ordered extra's just incase. I found a piece of sandpaper. It was sturdy enough with one fold. (I ripped it small enough to fit into the female end if it was folded in half.) the male end, wasnt an issue. Tobie

When you buy a can of electrical contact cleaner, check the label and be sure it is good for all plastic. The CRC can pictured on xschris's post says so on the front label.
I had a CRC contact cleaner that I used for years and one time I used it on the switchgear for a XS650 and it shattered the high/low lever. I mean it was in pieces like shattered glass. I read the label and sure enough it said do not use on polypropylene. It was the only clear plastic in there and I guess made of polypropylene.

Back