Clutch lock nut ... locked very well

jvdavidson

'78 XS400-2E
Reaction score
Greetings everyone,

I have just picked up a 78 XS400-2E which experienced clutch slippage. I took the cover off just recently, cleaned the whole cover as it was thoroughly filthy, and proceeded to disassemble the clutch engagement mechanism to clean it and despite all my attempts at loosening the locknut to adjust the Philips screw - it won't budge. The problem in large part stems from not being able to securely clamp the housing without damaging it whereby I can wrench the nut off. I've got nothing... I'd like to think I'm not the first person who's experienced this problem.

Your help is greatly appreciated,

James

Nevermind, problem solved, took a 3/8 impact (pneumatic) to it, with the lever portion clamped in a vice, and it buzzed off no problem. Hopefully this comes in handy to someone else later on.

Thanks

James

Putting it in a vise and using a socket on it is the way to go. When you go to adjust it I leave the socket on the nut and put the screw driver through it holding the socket while I turn the screw. After backing out the screw a 1/4 turn from seated and holding it. I turn the socket tight with my hand then snug it with the wrench.

Yea, socket ratchet was my first guess. However, given how tight the lock nut was, using a socket and vice to get it off led me to bend the 'ear' to which the cable attaches. The impact gun required only a bump of the trigger to buzz the thing off and it caused no damage.

Thanks for your reply,

James

Back