Compatibility Front End & Forks

Dono

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys, trying to re build my front suspension. Tubes are pitted, and having trouble finding a replacement that isnt a shitload of cash.

Ive found a few sets online that go to the maxim, Seca, 400J, etc models. They have 35mm tubes which are too big for my existing set up. It would seem that the bearings at the neck and axel bold may have different specs considering the proposed fork exchange has a larger diameter fork tube.

What I want to know is the compatibility of front ends along the various models of Yamaha motorcycle. Thanks

Any xs360 76-77 and any sohc xs400 tubes will work. Have you checked ebay or any salvage yards.

Yes.. Its difficult to find any that do not have pitting. The best pair I can find is for a 82 maxim with 35mm specs.

Could anyone help me determine what forks I might be able to use on a 1983 xs 400. I recently had an fork leak and changing the seals has turned into a nightmare where im just willing to buy new forks and simply put them on so i can get back riding.... im new to all this and would appreciate any help

Could anyone help me determine what forks I might be able to use on a 1983 xs 400. I recently had an fork leak and changing the seals has turned into a nightmare where im just willing to buy new forks and simply put them on so i can get back riding.... im new to all this and would appreciate any help

Fork seals are easy so why has it turned into a nightmare?

Are the forks pitted ? 83 is DOHC so bigger forks compared to the SOHC bikes.

I have both and have rebuilt the forks on both and not that bad. Give us details so we can help...........

BeFunkyPhoto.jpg
BeFunkyPhoto2.jpg
I couldn't get the hex bolt out of the bottom of the fork and neither could a nearby Yamaha dealership..... they said Id be better off just hunting for another set of forks....I was devastated. Thinking I didn't have much to lose I watched every youtube video on how other people dealt with a hex screw that wouldnt come out.....and to my luck I was able to successfully drill the screw out without ruining the thread or anything at all...... Im sorry if I use any wrong terminology or sound like an idiot trying to explain this- I want to learn everything I can about maintaining my bike as its something I can say that I truly enjoy. But these forks got me discouraged because I just dont know how to proceed when I can't get certain things apart correctly or even easily ....Here's some pics as to where I stand

I need some guidance as to what to do if anything can be done at all. Im really grateful for people that are willing to take the time to reply and help me out as well as help others out too (thanks spectra). The guys at the Yamaha place kinda made me feel like my "old bike" wasn't worth the effort anymore and that didn't sit well with me, as I love my xs400 and with 8,000 miles on it , its still as awesome as it was 35 yrs ago!...

Looks like you're most of the way there. It'll be easier to finish than replace.
Buy the parts you need from here:
https://yambits.co.uk/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=XS400 DOHC&sort=2a&page=4

Getting the springs out is the hardest part. If you are just doing the seals you can leave the springs in, otherwise you're looking at finding a few more parts.

Oh, I found this:
Haven't watched it all but should show how everything goes together.

Good to hear you got it out. Just make sure to get the right bolt to go back in you don't want to have issues again.

Yambits looks good but shipping to the states may be a bit much. There are lots of places here in the US for parts.

Looks like you're most of the way there. It'll be easier to finish than replace.
Buy the parts you need from here:
https://yambits.co.uk/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=XS400 DOHC&sort=2a&page=4

Getting the springs out is the hardest part. If you are just doing the seals you can leave the springs in, otherwise you're looking at finding a few more parts.

Oh, I found this:
Haven't watched it all but should show how everything goes together.

_________
Thank you very very much! The video is great - I will report back hopefully with good news. Im really glad this forum exists!

Back