Compression woes

More bad news. Found one of my two mixture screws broken off and stuck in the carb still. On the side that is backfiring , go figure. Luckily xschris is sending me some new screws. Hopefully this is the last problem I'll find. I'm not sure how long that was broken in there or if I even did it myself? That the joy of buying an old bike haha.

I don't understand how people break those things off so easily... unless you cranked on the screw with a screwdriver it probably wasn't you. I suppose people who have never worked on anything mechanical before have no idea that how tight something is actually matters and tighter does not equal better. Ha, hopefully it comes out easy enough.

When they get worn out they are very easy to break off because they are so soft. Mine had 25000 miles when it happend.

Yeah and the original factory screws have a long, tapered and thin end. The replacements don't look quite as fragile. To be fair, folks w/o mechanical experience don't realize how hard they are tightening things sometimes.

So I HAD to drill out the brass that was stuck in there. I tried everything. Anyways, I drilled it to 1/16 (smallest bit I had). I screwed the new screw all the way down (which doesn't quite hit since the hole is bigger ) and the thing runs better than ever. No backfires what so ever, will hold about any idle you want and sounds good. Right now it's bottomed out on the spring. I'm thinking if I just cut the spring I could get it to go a little lower maybe it will run even better but it's really pretty good now. I guess since it's a tappered screw I should still be able to get it to just about as good as before? Maybe just harder to adjust? I had the messed up carb's screw out like two turns and noticed it wasn't quite firing as perfect as the other side. I slowly turned it in and heard it sound better and better, firing every stroke as it should but as I said right now I can't turn it in more because of the spring, its not that the screw itself is bottoming out. It's not like this is going to be a high performance drag bike or anything anyways so I guess good enough is good enough?

Have you rode the bike yet? When I did the same to mine when it broke it would idle fine until I drove it then the rpms would hang up at around 3500. Hope you don't have the same problem as I did.:(

Back