Dial-A-Jet?

16VGTIDave

XS400 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone has used Dial-A-Jet's from Thunder Products? If so, what were your results? I had read about them 20 some odd years ago, but had forgotten all about them.

The reason I'm asking is I just cleaned a carb for a friends Kawasaki Super Sherpa 250cc Dual-Sport bike. He was having all kinds of running issues with the bike a year ago and parked it in the back of his garage in frustration. He has 6 Dial-A-Jets installed on his street bike and swears by them. So much so that he bought a kit for his Super Sherpa.

After I'd cleaned the carb, which wasn't that bad, he had me install a main jet 3 sizes smaller than stock and then the DAJ kit. :wtf: The bike fired-up first try (which it never used to do) and after a quick adjustment of the pilot screw and idle speed he took it out for a test ride. It sounded healthy and rode well. When he got back, I fine tuned the idle mixture and idle speed and then took it for a ride. I was impressed with how linear the engine pulled. No hesitation when I snapped the throttle wide open while puttering in 2nd gear, it just pulled smoothly until it revved out. It felt like an injected and programmed 250 single I've ridden, not the carbed 250 single it is. We never even adjusted the DAJ, just left it at the default factory middle setting. :thumbsup:

We ran out of time, so further riding and testing will wait for another day, but we both had big grins on our faces from how well the bike performed. :D I'm now wondering if this may be the carb tuning solution for those of us who ride from early spring to early winter - If the manufacturers claims are realistic. But one ride isn't enough to convince me. Anyone have any input?

The theory seems solid, but it does sound a little bit "too good to be true"... at under $200 it'd be a decent option if it really works.... keep us posted Dave!

Back