Do you have to use the front fender??

the81cafe

XS400 Member
Reaction score
I'm building an 81 XS400 Cafe and am looking to ditch the front fender. Is this something I can do without compromising the structural integrity of the bike or creating a safety hazard? I know the risk involved with dirt and debris being flung up during riding, so other than that, is there any risk? Thanks for the input!

Dirt and debris is all I can come up with. If a your bike needs the front fender to retain structural integrity....you've got trouble, my friend.

Some people use a fork brace, and not having a fender makes fitting that easier, but that is to improve handling and is not necessary.

Dirt and debris is all I can come up with. If a your bike needs the front fender to retain structural integrity....you've got trouble, my friend.

Some people use a fork brace, and not having a fender makes fitting that easier, but that is to improve handling and is not necessary.

Thanks for the input.

You will have a rooster tail covering You,your bike and your helmet,whatever sunglasses or face shield you use.BTDT,unfortunately. lha

A front fender is required by law in some states as well...That being said, I just run a fender brace on the front of my XS400...

I have been running without a front fender all summer. Not a problem unless its wet. But then again, if it rains you're going to get wet either way. not so comfortable maybe, but for me it works. And not only around the corner, for longer trips aswell.

Some bikes need the front fender to reduce fork flex while turning. On my 75 XS650 I put a later 35 mm fork on it and the stock 75 fender didn't look right. I got a fender that looked right, it came off an XS1100. This fender has very light bracing on it where it bolted to the front end. This made it handle like crap. Got an XS650 fender that looked like it but has heavy bracing and it handles much better.
If you want to try running with out a fender try running a curvy section of road and ride it hard with the fender, Now try it with out the fender, see if you can feel the difference.
If it feels better with the fender use a fender or fork brace in place of the fender.
Most fork braces can be used with the fender.
Leo

Back