Dual front discs

Maxim-umm

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Hi everyone!! So, I did a search and found a couple dual disc threads, but didn't find the answer I was looking for. I have a great chance of getting the forks and triple off a '79 xs1100, but I don't know if they will fit my '82 xs400 dohc. Can I just swap out the whole frontend or are the steering stems different lengths? Or is there a "better" option? I'd like to make this conversion so I have a bit more stopping power.

Thanks for all the help :)

the xj550 is the front end to swap for the dohc bikes. You really need to use similar bikes from the same era you'll have better chance with fitment

the xj550 is the front end to swap for the dohc bikes. You really need to use similar bikes from the same era you'll have better chance with fitment

Aren't XJ550 also single disc? I have a 550 Seca and it's definitely a single disc. The 650 is where I think the XJ went to duals.

4all-your-base1.jpg

Germany (and the rest of Europe) apparently got a different 550 than US. Given that Maxim-umm is in the state of Washington, it's not going to do him any good. US-spec 550 only had a single disc.

On the other hand, someone in, say, UK, (Manchester, perhaps?) could assist Maxim-umm with getting a Euro-spec XJ550 fork... ;P

Yep.

To save on postage it should be possible to get only the left leg and caliper and buy the rest stateside.

anyone know if a 1982 xj650 front end would fit? I understand I would possibly need new bearings for it to work (I plan on buying new ones with whatever I end up doing...)

750 forks are longer and I'm not sure if the wheel would fit right in.

750 Maxim and Seca forks will be different. Seca has funky brakes with a weird master cylinder hidden behind the headlight and anti-dive units.

Back