Engine smoking after attempted wash.. engine de-greaser the culprit (I hope)

iglehart332

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Well had my bike running great (79 xs400F) and thought id clean her up a bit. Not an easy task.. Iv never washed a motorcycle before and it had the usual 30 years of grime on it (not to mention getting in all those nooks and crannys). So I sprayed down the engine with de-greaser and did my best to wash the the rest by hand with some soap and water. It then sat for a couple of days (unridden, unstarted since the wash). I just today got my clubman bars. So exited, I put them on, and wrestled with all the cables (you know how it gose). Then I started it and it reved up because I didn't adjust the throttle cable. So while it was running I made the adjustment. It was reved like 3k for a little bit and then the smoke started coming from the engine, grey whiteish smoke. So I shrugged it off thinking it was the left over de-greaser that wasn't rinsed off the engine well, rode it around the block and it was still smoking..

How do I tell if this things overheating? Just to be shure.

when the engine melts its a good indication that its overheating, sounds to me like you washed away an old grime plug... any idea exactly where the engine is smoking from?

Back