Exhaust wrap for a 2-1 header

scott s

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Search-Fu returns nothing...

I've wrapped individual pipes before but not a 2-1 header. Any idea how much wrap it will take?
Also, as I head over to YouTube to search for videos, any hints on making the connection where the two pipes merge into the collector? How do you wrap it when all that stuff comes together?

Start the wrap at the comes together spot on each header and wrap up to the flange. Then if you start at the open end of the together spot, wrap up towards the two headers. End the wrap for the big part a little past where the two come together. Use the Stainless zip ties to hold down the start and stop points. Soak the wrap in a bucket of water before and as you wrap to help it conform. There should be videos on you tube. I have seen them before. And wear gloves since it is fiberglass!

Added: Overlap the wrapping by about half.

Just did this on my GS this weekend. Yes wear gloves and long sleeves. My forearms were itching pretty good afterwards. I used 2" x 50' on a 4 -1 header and only had about 18" left over. 50' would be overkill but 25' might be close depending on how far down the single tube you are going.

Also soaking it in water and a bench vise are your best friends.

Back