flooded engine? battery issue? help!

crazyskull92

XS400 Member
Reaction score
So I had my bike running and riding about a week ago, I have a tender I keep it hooked up to. Ive still been working on some cosmetic things so I only take it around my neighborhood here and there but I had it running great! Well I go to start it up for a ride today and it would turn but not fire up. So I kept at it and eventually it stopped turning over altogether... I gave it time in between trys thinking I forgot to hook it up to the tender so id let it charge. But like I said now it will hardly turn when I try it a couple times even after a few hours of sitting. Now after only a couple trys then it won't turn at all. The lights will eventually dim low and the tail light will go out like the battery is dead but when I hook it back up the tender will say its charged in a matter of minutes and the lights Will be back and bright. Its only after trying to e start it a couple times to the point where it wont even turn (2-3 trys) that they go dim again. Its a new battery so im almost positive thats not it. However i believe I flooded the engine due to the fact I looked up that the spark plugs when unscrewed will have a bit of gas on them, (they did) also I believe its leaking a little gas from this tube on the right side of the bike (im not very mechanically smart when it comes to bikes so I took pictures) and on the left side there seems to be some gas leaking from somewhere, possibly the same tube. I was so close to getting it finally insured and registered. If anyone can help please let me know. Its now sitting without the sparkplugs to see if I cant get the gas on the plugs and in the socket to evaporate If it is flooded how do I go about fixing it? If it is, would it affect the electronics like that? Any questions please feel free to ask. Any help would be very appreciated.

If I did it correctly I attached the pictures of the tube that I believe where the gas is coming from and the gas thats starting to show up on the left side of the bike. I apologize for spelling errors or strange sentance structure, im on my crap cell phone. Thanks again

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-06-22-20-23-42.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-06-22-20-23-42.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 182
  • Screenshot_2015-06-22-20-24-04.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-06-22-20-24-04.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:
Have the battery load tested; it's probably bad. Ask the auto-parts store guys for advice; go over your procedure of initial charging, etc. Charging for the first time with a new battery is critical; if not done right the battery will be no good. Letting the charge get too low can also damage the battery.

A little gas on the plugs is ok. Focus on the battery since nothing else changed. If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck it is a probably a duck. Sounds like your battery is toast.

The "tube" in your first photo is your tachometer cable; it is normal for it to leak a little oil over time. The second photo looks like you might be pointing to your head gasket; again, this is probably oil and likely no big deal. You can do a compression check if you want; rent a compression tester from the auto-parts store when you go in for a new battery.

Finally, you should verify that the bike is charging once it is running again.

But its been running on that battery just fine for a month or so with no issues and the initial charge I followed procedure. But ill have it texted and see if anything comes up

Have it load tested. If the battery goes from dead to fully charged in minutes something is wrong with the battery. Don't just guess; have an objective test done; get it load tested. It's the simplest and most obvious solution and it doesn't cost anything. It is possible for new things to break. Once the battery is certified good we can move on to other possible causes, but not until then. There is a strategy to diagnosing these sorts of problems. Going out of order and skipping the simple things will come back to bite you sooner or later.

Pick up a pack of fuses while you are there too if you don't have any extras; if you have the original fuse box it takes tiny glass bulb ones.

Back