Free motorcycle HELP!

Brandon-1986

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
I was given a 92 Seca 400. He said it ran great until he parked it for 2 years. I bought a new battery and drained and replaced gas. It started but here's my issues. It idles very high around 3,000 rpm for a minute or two drops to q,200 for a brief second and dies. I checked air filter and it's appears to have oil on it. When throttling up to 6,000 rpm it's slow to drop in rpm once throttle is released, throttle does snap back into off position. Any suggestions?

Another DOHC in my neighbourhood! Nice!

Carb cleaning for sure. 3 times is usually the charm. Also check for vacuum leaks on the vacuum line to the petcock and the rubber carb holders.

Yes I did some more reading after my post and figured as much. I have never worked on a motorcycle at all or even owned one for that matter. I am going to attempt removing the carbs, taking them apart, cleaning the pieces with 'carb cleaner?' And reassembly. I'm sure between asking questions here and trial and error I will be riding this bike sometime soon. Yes you are right '82 phone auto correct. And it is Exeter, CA although BC would be great! Hopefully this bike is easy to get into shape cosmetics are really good and it only has 10,000 miles. Guy at work just feels he's to old to ride it.

Also is the oil on the stock air filter bad? Or just cleaning up and reinstall?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-02-24-16-37-21-1.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-02-24-16-37-21-1.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
Back