FRONT DRUM BRAKE CABLE

AMPd

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I recently got an 81 xs400 with a front drum brake. Got the bike without a front drum brake cable so got a stock one from a fellow forum member but cant seem to figure out how to install it. Im only able to either get it hooked to the drum brake or the hand lever at one time, but not both at once, anything im missing?
Thanks in advance,
Anthony

Tighten the bottom nuts in all the way.
Then I screwed the receiver bolt in all the way and fought in the cable. It's a son of a gun but it worked. You should also lube the cable over night

Last edited:
I hope you marked all the hardware that attaches to the shoe cams before you removed them. That would help keep everything aligned so both shoes hit at the same time. Also if you get new shoes make sure they are for the front wheel as rear ones are different.

Thanks for the info guys, got it done last night.
Did mark everything, which helped a lot.
Found myself trying to force the cable in place, really just needed someone to confirm it needed to be forced in, thanks for that buz.
Did replace with new shoes, perfect fit. Front drum brake actually has surprisingly solid stopping power, I’m impressed.
Thanks again for the help guys, with the forks now rebuilt and the front brakes done, moving on to the next part.

Back