Full carb kit?

buzzstpoint

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there a full carb kit any where for the BS34 carbs? Sitting on a 81 xs400s?

I had to pull my carbs off, and looks like a 30 year carbs inside.
I looked at mikesxs and seen parts but nothing in a full style kit. Unless I missed it.

Also any good chem to clean and soak the carbs with?

It's an sohc, yeah?

http://www.siriusconinc.com/ carries one for the 78/79 which might work. The jets are likely different, but you can probably keep your stockers since they don't go bad really. It has all the other misc parts.

The bad news is that it is out of stock right now. You can try looking for the part number somewhere else but in the past I had a very difficult time finding this kit.

I do believe it's the SOHC. Those are on the 81's correct? If I have to order seperate I will. I wanted to strip the carbs. soak and put new parts but reuse the brass as long as they are not damaged.

If you're going to soak them just be aware that there are hidden plastic plugs and butterfly valves that may be sensitive to whatever chemical you use.

I believe in 1981 you can have an SOHC or DOHC maxim, but if you have a "special ii" it is probably an sohc!

I am not sure if Keyster makes a kit specifically for the '81. The older models like my '78 have bigger main jets and adjustable emulsion needles. I think everything would fit, however. So long as you don't have a DOHC bike!

Kickstart was the SOHC correct?

full

After doing lots of reading/browsing the web. I have decided to soak the carbs in Pine-Sol with a crock pot..

Off to Good will I went.. 6 bucks for the slow cooker and 3 bucks for some pine sol.
Only had room to do one carb. But that will allow me to take a clean/dipped pic and uncleaned pic.

Make sure you remove all the rubber parts from the carbs including the butterfly valve shaft seals. If you don't they will be destroyed and the bike will not run right:wink2:

I have to replace all the seals. Most of Tue rubber seals cracked as soon as I touched them with a pick. The carb is about to be pulled from the pot this morning.

Most kits that are available won't have many parts you can use. About the only parts are the gaskets and float valves. Everything else will be wrong. Just the way things are.
Tear down your carbs, clean and inspect what you have. usually you only need to replace gaskets. And then not often.
The stock jets and such unless they need to be changed to correct richness they can be reused.
Leo

Back