Fuse, fuse box

flornz

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys,

I am trying to get new fuses and maybe a new fuse box for my bike. The seats (contact points) on my box are probably stock -- they are brittle and parts have broken off. I'd be happy if I can get those very same components to replace the old ones but I doubt that I will from my scouring of the web.

So I intend to replace the box. Would one that says 20 amps on each terminal work. I know the bike uses 3 10s and 1 20? Is 20 an indication of the max amp allowed.

Also for all the GTA guys, where do you get 10 amp fuses. I've been to CT and Parts Source but they don't seem to sell 10 amps except for combos (with only 1 10 amp there anyway plus other amps). Would an 8 or 7.5 amp work in place of the 10?

Thanks.

Yep I had a XS650 where the fuse holders got all brittle and it needed replacement. You can get these on eBay now. Just search eBay for "XS400 Fuse Box". For example item number 321097652860. Or even better - in the past, I have seen an improved version which takes blade type car fuses ... probably going to be more reliable in the log run, but either should be OK.

Thanks frwinks, you beat me on making the post. Yes, Princess Auto has the boxes, no cover though, but they are not expensive. They also carry 5 pack 10 amp / 20 amp fuses. Just tested them, they work great. Now, I only need to figure out how to do the proper connection (solder, connectors, etc). If you're in the GTA, they are at McCowan, just north of the 401.

I just bought and installed this fuse block on an XJ650. Same fuse count and sizes as the XS400 though. This one comes with a 30, 20 15, and 10 so youll have to pickup 2 more 10s.

You should be able to use the 20A fuse in the 30A slot and 10A fuses in the remaining slots, as long as you go smaller you should be fine. The problems occur when you insert a 20A fuse into a rated 10A or 15A slot.

Anyhow, I'm looking to change my glass fuse block to blade fuse. I'd like something with a cover on it, no bus bar and screw in ring terminals connectors instead of quick disconnect wire connectors with shrink tube. I'll post a before and after when I'm done.

Back