Had the bike running then after loud click, nothing!

Juju400

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the bike running for a while then as I revved the throttle, I head a loud clicking noise and the bike cut off. Turns out there was an oil leak in the bottom of the engine and there was little oil in it.:banghead::(:wtf::yikes::eek::doh:I hope the engine isnt damaged. Mechanic said it sounded like metal on metal. Still waiting for a start button from Kibokojoe. :confused:Paper thin brakes, broken tailight, and starter solenoid wiring are among my other problems.

I'll stay positive and continue to take this day by day:)

Just be careful not to seize the engine. I would not try to start it up again until making sure there is proper amount of oil. If the bike has not been running for a while (months or years), and you managed to get it started than it died this could be a carburetor problem. It is worrisome that there was a loud click, hopefully nothing got broken in the engine.

I would suggest:
1. Fill with oil.
2. Try turning the engine over and listen to the sounds it makes. Metal on metal is bad = not enough oil getting to the cylinders.
3. If it turns over easily,and after few tries it does not start pull the plugs and see if the fuel is getting to the cylinders.
4. Check if there is spark on the spark plugs.

Just remember engine needs 3 things to run: fuel, spark and compression.

Hope this helps.

I would fill the oil to proper spec first, pull the plugs then turn it over slowly by hand. You will be able to feel and hear if there is any grinding or scraping. A properly lubed and healthy engine will hand turn smooth and relatively easily with almost no noise. Make sure you turn it all the way through the cycle a couple times

If this is inconclusive, you can bump it over with the e-starter, plugs out to see if you can locate the noise at a higher crank speed.

If you haven't found any strange noises at this point you can hook everything back up and see what happens while running.

Roll the dice and see how it goes, or start pulling covers and opening inspection ports to look for broken things. Isn't diagnostic work FUN? :D

Thanks for the reply. So far trying to turn it over by hand seems to be the best method of checking to hear a noise being as tho it won't kick and I disconnected the solenoid. When we were first trying to get it even to start, I had to jump the solenoid. We found out that the e-start had a non working button which made me buy another. (Talked to the guy today and supposedly UPS lost my package so he's sending me over another, smh)

But how would I go about turning it over by hand? The first thing that I did to the bike 11 months ago was change the plugs and I wonder if that played a part in why it was hard to start in the first place. Maybe that got wet or burnt or something. Idk. I know I have a leak coming from the bottom of the engine so I'll investigate in the am.

Really wanted the bike done by summer but you win some, you lose some.

Last edited:
Also, cleaned the carbs thoroughly and since the bike is low on oil I don't know if trying to kick it will show signs of high compression.

Back