Head Pipe Size 81 xs400s

jbrum1545

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hey xs400 gods, I come with a minor question. My mufflers cracked completely off the header pipe on both sides near the "H" crossbar. My question, what size is my header pipe? I've measured the open end (the inner pipe inside of the muffler) and it's 1.25" is that right? I want to get some slip on mufflers from dimecitycycles but I want to make sure I'm ordering the correct size. I've looked thru the threads from cutting the mufflers off, to re-jetting after, exhaust wrapping, etc, , one post said 1.5", but I just want to make sure because my measurements don't back that up. Here's what i'm going to get:
http://www.dimecitycycles.com/satin-black-16-inch-shorty-slashcut-muffler.html

and thinking about wrapping the header pipes while I have the pipes off.
as always thanks for the help!

If I was you I would get a set of head pipes off a 77-79 xs400 (1.5" od) that are meant for a slip on muffler. The 80-82 sohc bikes are different and cutting them to get a slip on to fit would make them much shorter than the earlier ones. Also the 80-82 pipes have a vent hole up by the head part which would cause a air leak in your system. A stock 80-82 system would be the best for tuning over any other. That is just my 2 cents.

excellent. I'll look around for a set. trying to not break the bank so hopefully I can find a decent pair. Thanks for the info

Back