heavy weight oil, trouble starting

hellojamin

XS400 Member
Reaction score
would running 50w oil make an xs400 nearly impossible to kickstart when the engine is cold or should i be looking somewhere else for the problem? it's 75 degrees out btw.

Why are you thinking of using 50W oil and do you really mean straight 50W? That really isn't necessary. As I and others here have recommended, use Diesel grade 15W40 oil. 50W oil does increase drag dramatically

What do you mean by "nearly impossible to kick start?

If you can kick it through, it should start. If you can't kick it through....it ain't the oil. I personally would not use 50w (straight) because until the oil gets warm, there would be inadequate oil flow.

This is what I have been using for a long time. Works very good for me:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Yeah, I don't have a problem with 20W50, either. That wouldn't cause any problems. Poster needs to give us more specific info.

I used 20w50 at one time too and didn't notice any difficulty in kick starting and as for cold start, thats what the "20" is for, so it's a fine oil for these bikes...but I now use diesel 15w40 as it works fine and costs less.

I wouldn't use a straight 50 weight for much other than trying to hide lifter and rod noise in a used car I was trying to pawn off on some sucker.....naw, I wouldn't do that....would I?

Back