Hello from Oregon, new member

ElvisRambler

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, just wanted to introduce myself and my new bike. I have been working on vintage dirt bikes for a few years now but I wanted a street bike. Found a 1980 XS400 on craigslist for $80, bought it and now I am going to town on it. I have already used this site for some advice but I haven't really dug into the project too much yet. I started a local motorcycle club in my town a while back too and all of those guys have been helpful too. My initial plans for the bike are to lighten it by removing all of the "stuff", it will be a classic styled cafe bike (rather than a streetfighter or monoshock), and although it is an '80 I would like to keep a lot of the classic parts that it has like the chrome fenders, black tank, large bulb headlight, etc. But who knows what will happen to it.....

I'm married, to a wife from a biker family so she appreciates my obsession. No kids. And really good health insurance (so I can still ride my dirt bikes). Anyways, thanks for the resources and I look forward to getting my build started and sharing the process.

Here is the bike about 1 hour after I bought it:
iphone+008.jpg

And after a good cleaning, and the handlebars flipped:
iphone+010.jpg

welcome to the forum ER

good start already and a healthy support network too :thumbsup:

keep us informed how your doing with it and some back stories on your bike club too :D

An update on my "build". I am simply trying to get this thing ready to ride this summer. NEXT winter, I will probably strip it down and re-do everything right. In the meantime, I didn't like the air cleaners so I had some old number plates from a dirt bike I threw on, I flipped the handlebars until I get some drag style bars, and the seat is from a Yamaha DT250 dirt bike. I removed the inner fender and pulled the chrome fender up for a bobbed look, it made a HUGE difference in the overall look of the bike. I removed the shock reflectors and turned them around because I don't mind the chrome covers. I mounted the LED taillight to the stock license plate holder and it is perfect! Still tuning the carbs a little as it is running rich, but looking forward to having it ridable by the time warm weather hits.

6863136796_d92256f238_b.jpg

Quick update, and progress on my $80 xs400....

7397186634_9ff9bc2e6b_b.jpg

Just added a tailpiece that a friend had laying around, it came from a junkyard. Got some free clubmans, stripped the tank for paint, installed a new throttle cable, welded on some Harley pipes that someone gave me. As you can see, this is a BUDGET build. I think I have spent $60 since I got it.

Still to do:
- paint
- seat upholstery
- wiring of taillight and turn signals
- registration/title
- new tires

Looking nice! I just added some Harley mufflers to mine as well. My stock ones had too many holes and I got sick of patching them.

I joined your group last night. Looks like most of you are in central Oregon. Anyway looks like a nice group.
You have changed the look of you bike way more than I have and spent a lot less money. I like the look of that tail piece.

Welcome!

You will find most of our issues covered here and you will be able to fix and ride economically. With our passionate members who love the challenge of solving problems globally and getting bikes running for members.

Your bars look great upside down. I've been considering that move myself! You've beaten many of us to it!

and congrats on your bike club. Great idea to meet people that really get you.

Welcome and enjoy

Drewcifer

Back