Hello to everyone, just wanted to introduce myself

Kinney

1978 XS400-2E
Reaction score
Hi guys, my name is Kinney from Nebraska and I'm new to the forum. Thanks for having an awesome forum.I just picked up a 1978 yamaha 400xs-2e from a guy on Craig's list for $400 and I have been trying to obsorb as much info from this site as I can. This is actually my first bike ever and it's a project bike. I am new to motorcycles and I am enlisting in a motorcycle safety class. Right now the bike doesn't run. It has a damaged fuse box and I do not have power. A couple of the tabs are broken on the ignition and main fuse. I took a look at Willem's "newbie" checklist and that was very helpful. My plan is to get the fuse box fixed and go through the checklist to get the bike functional. Pictures to come!

Where is the best place to get carburetor parts and I guess parts in general?

- Kinney

Welcome Kinney! Sounds like you are off to a good start - reading and learning! :thumbsup: MikesXS.com is a popular choice for sourcing parts, but don't forget your local motorcycle shops. They can be a valuable resource for advice, which often is worth more than the higher prices you may have to pay...

Welcome :)

fully agree with dave! Also, sourcing parts on this site can be useful as well. Maybe not really for a gasket set or a carb rebuild kit, but a new set of wheels, a specific nut or bolt, stuff like that gets traded around here quite a bit. Ebay is also very good at times, and if you're after something specific you can check out cmsnl.com or partzilla or something. You can get your hands on anything, as long as you're willing to pay people ;)

we want to see pics!

Welcome:thumbsup: Ebay is a good place to look for stuff also. Buy mikuni jets they are better that the china made knock offs:wink2:

Thanks guys for the welcoming. If I did this right, there should be some photos of the bike attached to this post. Can anyone tell me if there is suppose to be a latch plate for the seat on the frame, and also give feedback on the electrical work near the fuse box (is it stock or does it look like someone did there own work?)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 150
Back